Writer, mother, runner, vegan, marketing professional, avocado-enthusiast, mini-van driver, laundry expert, cat-owner and donut lover.

You can contact me at jessicasusanwrites@gmail.com





Thursday, August 23, 2012

October

I dreamed of the smell of October,
reaching out in heavy sleep
to touch the red leaves on the grass,
feeling them drift against my skin,
breathing in the places that are usually
so distant.

I dreamed of an ash covered lawn
I must cross to,
past long buried shoeboxes
and smoldering fallen branches,
taped up windows
and un-growable grass.

I dreamed of the static shoreline.
Rock meets water,
water lifts the sky,
stretches of sand push back
against three hundred years of
insistent crossings,
only a façade of yielding,
freckled with crushed,
unspent sand dollars and
hopelessly tangled seaweed.

I dreamed of a dim gallery,
white-tiled floor shifting,
black curtained portraits hung,
jaded art un-transfixed,
shaded amber lights burning
in compact caged air,
domed doorway far ahead.
A redesigned reverie,
leading to a most beautiful place.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting take. Certainly, this is a nervous experience for the parents. As a child/kid/teenager, however, I was always excited for the first day of school. The smells, sights, sounds and friends were always something to look forward to. So maybe, she might feel the same way. Hopefully, it will be a great experience for her.

    ReplyDelete